Follow kiltedtrvlagent on Twitter

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

BMWCCA Outing-Group 2 Motoursports,Gerber Racing and Goodman Racing

So if you're not new to this blog you know that I'm a BMWCCA member. If you are new, now you know.

I own a 1987 E30- 325is model.

Please note that I didn't state I was a proud owner. Sometimes I'm proud. Like when my 22 year old car can still take down a newer car with presumably more horsepower and better reflexes in an all street smack down. Oh I think I'm drooling.

Sometimes I'm disgusted. Like recently. My auxiliary cooling fan is not coming on. I haven't totally tracked it down yet. At least the main fan is going strong since I had a new fan clutch installed last year.

Ah, rambling again.

So last month my local chapter set out one Saturday to tour two of Seattle's most known and respected shops: Goodman Racing and Group 2 Motoursports and Gerber Motoursport.

These places are absolutely hands down the best shops I've toured in years. Group 2 is a performance and maintenance shop that also does racing set ups and track build cars. Here are a few examples of the kind of stuff they have in their bays:

This is hands down the cleanest 5 series BMW I have ever seen.













This is the powerplant of the aforementioned 535.
Oh look in the back.......that looks like pipework for an aftermarket turbo kit.












This little red one is near and dear to me. This is a 1972 2002 tii.

Well mine was a 1976 and it wasn't a tii model, but the body didn't change much.

This is an uber light car that comes from the factory with a 2.0 litre turbo four cylinder.

Mine being a non turbo could break the tires loose through all four forward gears on a dry day. I'd hate to imagine the ride this one provides it's owners. Then again.................I grin from ear to ear dreaming of it.


OH!!! Wait a minute!! What's this!?

That's an M3 engine that's been transplanted into that hot looking little 2002 tii.

In layman's terms: this really light weight car now has enough power under the hood that one should really have an SCCA race license to drive this thing.

*wiping drool*



One of the poor long shots of the main shop area. The little white 2002 in the back on the left........yeah that one is also sporting one of those M3 engines as well. It's really a popular transplant and it works so well in those cars.

Well after we left the main shop it was next door to the warehouse and employee break room. It was nothing like I ever imagined it would be..........




These next three shots are the upper warehouse and the employee breakroom.


Quite the collection going on in the upper warehouse. Now for the employee breakroom.
This is the far end with widescreen tv,pellet stove a leather lounge sofa and chairs. The custom pool table is right in front of me as I took the photo.
There's plenty of reading material here. There's also a magazine rack (not shown) that has car magazines dating back to the mid 1940's. My father in law would drool at this too!!! Excuse me, I need to wipe my mouth again.
This is the toy display case I suppose. Mostly models and little die casts of Mercedes.
This was super cool!!! An actual Pebble Beach Concours D'Elagance trophy!!
Ah the dining facility! Nothing says cars like a 50's style diner with modern touches. On the right in this shot..............yep you guessed. That's a giant slot car track!! Me and my mates had a lot of fun racing on this. We did share with the other enthusiasts.
And finally, what employee room wouldn't be complete without it's very own Spy Hunter Video game and Spy Hunter Pinball machine?

I think I'm ready to get back into the automotive industry and leave the travel buisiness behind.

Well this one turned out a little longer than I planed. So with that in mind, we'll call this post part 1 of a series. Tomorrow............the lower warehouse of Group 2 Motoursports.

1 comment:

The Dirty Scottish Bastard said...

Thank you Ann.

It's hit or miss sometimes. I've been a bit pre-occupied lately and haven't been posting as often, but than you for reading.

Cheers,
Chris