Follow kiltedtrvlagent on Twitter

Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Dropkick Murphys-All Roads Lead to Boston

So in February the Paisley and I took a day off to go and see one of my favourite bands, The Dropkick Murphy's.

If you've never heard of them, shame on you and visit their website.

What can I say. As a child of the 1970's when music was mostly horrible (granola eaters making hippie music or disco, you're choice) and a child of the 1980's (thank you glam rock and alt-punk wave) the music choices were pretty grim at times. Thankfully there was punk.

The Murphy's fit this definition, but they also fall into many other categories. Irish/Celtic-Punk. No matter how you slice it, there is something in their music for everyone.

We caught them that the Showbox SoDo location. Not a bad venue for a show. You can get there early and sit in the restaurant area and have a full meal before hand. Plenty of beer on hand. Guinness my fav is on tap. Saw plenty of the younger crew getting it on with the PBR bomber cans. Ick. In my opinion, PBR is the new Milwaukees Best. I have always been a beer snob. Beer should not be transparent and should have a distinctive flavour. It should also have an alcohol content higher than 3% percent like the yank brewers here in the States like to make.

I've rambled. It happens. Bear with me. The Showbox SoDo. Great place for a venue. They have these garage doors that they open up between the restaurant and the concert floor when the show starts. Awesome. Reasonably priced food and beverages too. We paid (with tip) about $65 for dinner and 6 Guinness. Maybe a bit more. Not too bad though. I wish I'd had room for some of the Deep Fried Twinkies. Totally will have to get back there for some of those.

Here are some photos from the show. Enjoy.

This is Scruffy Wallace, the bagpiper for the DKM's. He's probably my favourite since I was a piper myself.

This was the only glimpse I got of him that nite from where we were.













This is Al Barr, the lead vocalist. He's got a really loud harsh voice. He reminds me of Henry Rollins of Black Flag.











During their song, Kiss Me I'm Shitfaced, the band has as many of the ladies as they can get on the stage.

If you don't know the song then you will have to get a copy and listen to it to understand.

I think damn near every lady on this stage was shitfaced or beyond.





This shot is Tim, Al and Ken. Ken is another lead vocalist and bass player. Tim is multi-functional as he plays guitar and banjo and citar and I think I even saw him playing the accordian. Well someone in the band play accordian and he was closest to us, but I could be wrong on which member it was.







Finally we have a very blurred shot of the crowd that nite. Everyone had a great time. There were no arrests that I saw and no one was hurt and hauled away. After all we were there to see one of the best punk bands in recent history.









Now for those Deep Fried Twinkies........................another one of my fav bands will be here in April as part of the Jagermeister Tour: Pennywise!!! Hmm.........I wonder if I'll be able to make that one?

No comments: