Follow kiltedtrvlagent on Twitter

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Word Wednesday

Time for another edition of Word Wednesday.

This week I thought I'd actually get my act together and actually prepare this eve of Word Wednesday so as to actually get it out on time.

I know I've been a bit naughty about getting things out on time. I need a spanking.

OK then back to the word!!!

I've always liked the word POSH. Not it's not a Spice Girls things. Although I must admit as an Anglophile, I love their accents.

It's a versatile word as the below uses and definitions will show.

adjective


elegant or stylishly luxurious:
a posh Munich hotel chiefly British typical of or belonging to the upper class of society:
she had a posh accent

adverb

British
in an upper-class way:
trying to talk posh

noun

British
the quality or state of being elegant, stylish, or upper-class:
we finally bought a color TV, which seemed the height of posh

 Derivatives:
poshly
adverb

poshness
noun

This is perhaps my favourite part: the origin.

There is no evidence to support this, but it is widely reputed to have originated as an acronym for the phrase Port Out, Starboard Home. This was in reference to ships that would sail between England and India. More specifically in regards to accommodations. The preferred staterooms going to India were the ones on the port side of the ship and on the return the starboard side. The reason was that if you switched staterooms like that, you would be able to see land on your entire voyage, hence port out, starboard home, or more simply: POSH.

As someone that works in the cruise industry I love words that have (or supposedly have) a nautical theme behind them.

Enjoy this weeks word!!

No comments: